During the month of June, the National Safety Council encourages people, organizations and workplaces to educate themselves and each other on preventing common accidents and injuries. Each week during the month focuses on a specific cause of common injuries. The first two weeks of June focus on preventing work injuries, the third week on preventing falls and the final week focuses on safe driving.
The National Safety Council offers free educational materials and tips on its website. The tips for preventing slips, trips and falls include:
- Keep stairs free of clutter
- Maintain good lighting on outside walkways
- Keep loose cords out of walkways
- Use non-slip rugs in slippery areas, like the bathroom
- Clean spills up immediately